Saturday, September 02, 2006

Left and right

After Daniel Bell, I thought that the division between left and right is over and it is only arguments between different defenders of 'truth'. Dilip D'Souza has this blurb on his blog; 'I am not leftist, I am not rightist, I am a typist". But looking at the alignment in Indian blogs, there seems to be a division. Apparently in USA too. Greg Mankiw in the post "Are rich a form of pollution?" (http://gregmankiw.blogspot.com/) says

"Brad DeLong reveals his inner Veblen:

"I'm enough of a touchy-feely sociology-lover to believe that a good chunk of the utility the rich derive from their conspicuous consumption is transferred to them from the poor."
This quotation goes to the heart of one reason left-leaning economists like Brad and right-leaning economists like me differ in their policy views".

No comments: