Sunday, July 15, 2012

The Guardian on Terry Deary

The Man Behind the Horrible Histories
From the Wikipedia article on Terry Deary:
 "I've no interest in schools. They have no relevance in the 21st century. They were a Victorian idea to get kids off the street. Who decided that putting 30 kids with only their age in common in a classroom with one teacher was the best way of educating? At my school there were 52 kids in the class and all I learned was how to pass the 11-plus. Testing is the death of education. Kids should leave school at 11 and go to work. Not down the mines or up chimneys, mind, but working with computers or something relevant. Everything I learned after 11 was a waste of time. Trigonometry, Boyle's law: it's never been of any use to me. They should have been teaching me the life skills I was going to need, such as building relationships, parenting and managing money. I didn't have a clue about any of these things at 18. Schools need to change."
From The Guardian article:
"He still harbours a profound mistrust of all things school-related, and is unhappy that Horrible Histories have become classroom texts in some schools ("If they're part of the curriculum, kids will get turned off them. Then how can I be subversive?")"
And the final indignity, according to Wikipedia, Deary received an honorary doctorate for education from the University of Sunderland




No comments: